9 mind-blowing facts you need to know about the movie, Black Panther
Photo Credit: www.quirkybyte.com
By Ikenna Amadi
The new Marvel flick has hit the screens in a big way, with mind-blowing successes recorded in box offices around the globe.
The movie which takes the essence of superhero flicks to a whole new dimension by building it’s plot from deep African traditions have definitely driven movie fans into ectasy.
Here are interesting facts about the movie:
- Black Panther is a Marvel superhero movie and cinematic treat, but it’s also a masterful exploration of black identity and the African diaspora.
While most of the movie is set in the fictional African nation of Wakanda, the film also addresses themes on the black American experience, Pan-Africanism, and the history of colonization. Africa here we go!
- This probably isn’t the first time fictional African country Wakanda will be used in a movie.
The isolated country, hidden from the rest of the world and ruled over by King T’Challa, made a brief appearance in Captain America: Civil War.
- The producers drew inspiration from several African tribes to design costumes, characters, and cultures of Wakanda.
So much of what you’ll see is based on real places and people.
- The film’s soundtrack is produced by Kendrick Lamar.
Yes, you heard it. Lamar was originally only supposed to lend his talents for a couple of original tracks for the film, but after director Ryan Coogler screened some of the footage for him, the rapper ended up co-producing a full soundtrack with his label, Top Dawg Entertainment.
- The resulting soundtrack, Black Panther: The Album, debuted at the top of the Billboard 200 chart on opening weekend.
- Black Panther also showcases and celebrates an incredible slew of strong female characters.
In an interview, the film’s star Lupita Nyong’o said that the women of Wakanda were able to “realize their full potential.” In large part, women are the brains and the brawn of the movie.
- Despite being a relatively “new” hero in the Marvel universe, Black Panther has existed for decades.
The character was originally featured in a The Fantastic Four comic in 1966. Later on, he got his own series
Photo Credit: Bleeding Cool
- And he ended up becoming a very, very important character.
In addition to being the king of Wakanda and an Avenger, the character of T’Challa plays a major role in the comics. At some point, he was part of the Illuminati (a group of heroes who make all the important decisions pertaining to the Earth) and eventually had custody over one of the Infinity Gems.
- The plot of the film is very much connected to the events of Captain America: Civil War.
The death of King T’Chaka plays a crucial role in both films, and a couple of characters from Civil War reappear in Black Panther.
There you have it movie fans, the Black Panther movie is one that will always hit our imaginations for years to come especially the black race, and definitely rank among the best movies ever.