I had no hand in Sanusi’s dethronement as emir, says Malami
The Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, (SAN), has dismissed claims in some quarters that he was involved in the ouster of Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II as well as his subsequent banishment to Nassarawa State.
Recall that Kano State Governor, Abdullahi Ganduje had on Monday last week approved the dethronement of Sanusi, citing among other things, “a total disrespect to the office of the governor” on the part of the emir.
Shortly after his dethronement, Aminu Ado Bayero, emir of Bichi had been named as replacement by the governor.
His removal has generated heated dusts across the country, with many Nigerians airing different views of the monarch’s removal.
During the peak of the controversy, it had been rumoured in some quarters that Malami was one among those who facilitated the Sanusi’s removal.
But reacting in a statement issued in Abuja by Dr Umar Gwandu, on Sunday, the AGF described such claims as baseless, explaining he had no hand in the removal of the emir.
“The issue of who does what over the dethronement saga has been effectively submitted for judicial determination. The matter is consequently subjudice. And I will not comment one way or the other over a matter that is pending before the court,” Malami said.